Friday, September 19, 2008

Week 5 Readings - Wikipedia Data Compression

One of my first thoughts upon reading this article was about how sad it is that the human sensory system isn't up to the task of visually distinguishing discrepancies in what we ourselves have created! However, though I create zip files frequently for work, I was not aware of the differences between the compression types. In fact, I've assumed there is no data loss at all, no matter what I use. Once PK Zip ceased to be free, I looked for and found a new free product made by M Dev. I can definitely see how this issue could adversely affect a library's digital collections if the wrong type is chosen.

1 comment:

raygunrobot said...

I also assumed there was no data loss, or rather, I just never thought about it, but if asked, I would've thought that, no, no loss. I had no idea there were so many options for compression.