Friday, September 5, 2008

Week 3 Readings - What is Mac OS X? by Amit Singh

This article was so technical that I have to admit I skipped over some sections that described the operating system startup; this was not detrimental to my reading of the article since reading the technical jargon would not have made me understand it. Still, the author's belief in the flexibility of the operating system was apparent. I got the impression of a company that develops in the spirit of the Linux community, yet it marries open source concepts to a commercial platform. As the author states in his conclusion section, it does appear to be "the only operating system currently in production that, within reason, lets you have your cake and eat it too." If you are into development, you can do that but the operating system is also designed to work completely without intervention. A lot of software you must pay for in the Windows environment come bundled with Mac OS X, particularly multi-media applications and speech recognition software, and there is an impressive list of commercial software that runs on it.

I've never really looked at Apple equipment because my work environment has always been Windows, but this article gave me some perspective. There are alternatives to Windows machines that are viable and don't require sacrificing mainstream applications.

No comments: