Friday, September 12, 2008

Week 4 Readings - Overview of the Dublin Core Data Model by Erie J. Miller

First, my thanks and recognition to Rachel Ross for the link to the Google cached version of this article; I had forgotten about that feature. It was a great help for this since the dublincore.org site is definitely down today. Here it is if anyone else needs it:

http://64.233.169.104/search?q=cache:e1fuoT1yznIJ:dublincore.org/1999/06/06-overview/

The Dublin Core Metadata Initiative is another online, world wide and voluntary collaboration similar to Wikipedia. However, this initiative isn't intended to provide a place for knowledge sharing. This one is being developed by developers of metadata systems to develop standards for a metadata system that can be used across disciplines and accommodate all languages and cultures. My understanding is that, to make electronic resources more accessible, and to enable users to find data on their subject in all disciplines, the Dublin Core group is developing a set of common descriptive elements that would still allow content creators to use their own language, date formats and semantics.

Ideally, I interpret this to mean that I could research a topic and find resources related to it that were developed by people outside my discipline, outside of my country and in other languages so that I would have a very rich set of electronic resources to explore. If this group can gain a wide acceptance for this idea, what a great contribution it would be to the information world.

1 comment:

Amy! said...

Wow, I really appreciate your simple explanation of this article. I had a really hard time understanding what exactly the point of the DCDM was. I like the comparison to Wikipedia; it makes it more accessible to people who are not at all technologically savvy.