Friday, September 5, 2008

Week 2 Readings - Computer History Museum

This is a very interesting site that I'd like to explore more. Right now I have far too much homework to be able to do more than briefly review the online exhibits. I looked over Visible Storage, a subset of images of an actual physical collection at the museum, internet history, the Babbage computer exhibit and the Timeline of Computer History. It's amazing that they actually built the Babbage computer!

Actually, I can remember many of these items that are now considered artifacts, but I was still surprised to read that HP was founded in a garage in 1939--I guess garages really are happening places; it seems as though a lot of 20th century innovations originated in garages!

I also remember the NeXT computers. My alma mater and eventual employer from 1989 to 1996, Allegheny College, received a grant in the 90's to install several computer labs with several hundred NeXT computers and hire some programmers to develop innovative classroom applications. Actually, they were quite impressive. They developed lab simulations for Biology classes, for example that Allegheny would not have been able to provide for the students due to the physical requirements.

No comments: