Friday, September 5, 2008

Week 2 Reading - Wikipedia Computer Hardware Article

I've worked in the computing profession, and owned PC's long enough, that I thought I would be fairly well acquainted with the concepts in this article. For most of the article, I found this to be true. I've seen the inside of every computer I've owned, at least to clean it, several times to install memory cards and on one occasion, a CD-writer. This article did make give me pause to the idea of building my own PC, which I've considered after reading articles about it in computing magazines that I subscribe to. Standards are changing so fast--click through the links in the section on internal bus architecture for an example--that even if I did master this fairly boring information, I'm not sure it's worth my time to learn it. Could I really come up with something better than all these people that know how to solder do? Almost certainly not, even if it would let me buy that pretty white chassis with the flowers on it.

Reading the article did take me back to my undergraduate days--I used to be addicted to the game Centipede (used as an example of device using a trackball)--click through pointing devices in the article. In fact, I still look for it in video arcades. Having arthritic thumbs makes the trackball option kind of attractive!

It was really amazing to read about the ways people are using computing, and developing it to meet perceived needs. I had read about DNA computing several years ago; how exciting that it may have an application in cancer treatment. I also had no idea that open source hardware design and optical computing devices are being developed.

My last thought is about Wikipedia in general. I've not used it deliberately; I've used it only if it turns up in a search I've done. I guess the idea that anyone can contribute has always made me a little wary about authenticity. However, articles that need more input and/or verification appear to be appropriately disclaimed and I like the idea that a community of experts has a place to collaborate.

No comments: