Friday, September 5, 2008

Week 3 Readings - An Update on the Windows Roadmap by Paul Thurott

I'm using Windows XP Home edition and I don't recall getting that email! Still, I think Microsoft was hit pretty hard with Vista complaints. As an XP user in the workplace and at home, I'm very glad to see the long support time for XP. Having been personally hit by spyware and malware, I'm very tempted to upgrade to a Vista machine; I completely agree with the article comments that this is a big problem in XP. I'm on my fourth anti-spyware/anti virus package right now hoping to find one that finds everything without overwhelming my PC's resources. Getting rid of this headache would be great, but it can't come at a productivity cost. I work mostly from home and I need my applications to work. I also think the downgrade rights option is a very good compromise for workplace PC's. At our office we are working in a mixed XP and Vista environment and it appears to be working pretty well. The Veghte email seems to acknowledge that the leadership is aware that this was not their best release.

It does sound as though they are trying to be more responsive to customer feedback than they have been in the past.

2 comments:

raygunrobot said...

I had an XP laptop that got hit hard with Trojan horses and adware and spyware and all sorts of things right before the semster started (of course!). When I finally succeeded in ridding my computer of it all, I had received the Vista disc form Pitt. Not being any wiser, and having had no experience of Vista beyond having heard of it once upon a time, I loaded it onto my computer. It basically ruined my computer. I have since discovered, thanks to reading that press release, that Vista's original architecture was different enough to XP's to do what it did to my computer! Sheesh. I did not find that out until I'd already shelled out another $1000, all told, for another computer. So now I have a Vista machine. I love the laptop itself, but I really don't like Vista. It has many features which irritate me. So I'm actually now contemplating getting a Linux tutorial from a Linux expert friend of mine. Anyway, long story short (too late), I'm with you on the preference for XP. I do think it is nice that Microsoft was aware enough of their foul-up with the original Vista to take them into account when designing the Windows 7 project. Do you think it'll be any better/easier a transition for people like me? I mean people who are computer literate to a point, but not by any means able to read and understand code? Also, have you used Linux? My friend is the only person I know who has..

dudacm said...

I feel for you; I've been there myself! I actually think Vista, or Windows 7 if that will be the next step will be fine. XP had some pretty serious problems when they released it, too. I always wait a while before I bump up (usually by buying a new machine).

You're brave to try Linus. I know a little unix and it's not bad, Linux is based on it. I do think though, that people who develop tend to oversimplify, especially when they are so enamored of a product, like Linus. It's a unique and really amazing creation--I think I would suggest buying one that has Linux (I have read about some that are commercially available) and get your free applications for it.