Friday, October 17, 2008

Week 9 Readings - A Survey of XML Standards Part 1

This article was really beyond my level of expertise. When it touched on database schemas, which I work with, I was much clearer on the concepts. This is not to say that it's a bad article. On the contrary it is extremely well written and the layout is very easy to follow. I liked that Mr. Ogbuji explained what his definition of a standard is in the article. Though most of the technical parts were difficult for me because I have no base knowledge, I was impressed with the voluntary effort that exists in the computing community to develop systems and standards that make communication across the web better and more accessible by more people. I admire their dedication to maintaining a rigorous process to develop standards; though more than one group exists, they all recognize that not every concept is a good one and won't be accepted but they are at least given a hearing. Mr Ogbuji provided some great resources to learn more which I plan to check out--probably in a year because I will never be caught up from all the reading in the two courses I am taking. Mr. Ogbuji even covers the time concern though; he provided cautions for complex developments that don't have a large following yet and warnings about training sites that may provide older information. At any rate, I've bookmarked his site!

No comments: