Friday, October 17, 2008

Week 9 Readings - An Introduction to the Extensible Markup Language (XML)

I have been interested in learning more about XML. Up to reading this article I knew that it is used in WWW pages, it is a very good development for web page authors and that Microsoft Office products can save a document in XML format--that's all. Though I work in computing I am not a web programmer and I haven't done a lot with creating my own web pages or web site. I would certainly like to so I have learned some html and I do understand more than the average WWW user does. So, I've used the WWW long enough to know that the wide range of hardware platforms, operating systems and web browsers have meant that web pages don't always look as they were designed to look in every situation due to different handling and different html versions used by the authors. What I learned from this article is that XML addresses this problem, allowing web page features to retain their attributes in a much broader range of situations, and updating those attributes is a lot easier since it only has to be done in one place.

After reading this article, I can't say that I could originate an XML document myself. Clearly some knowledge of creating web pages is prerequisite, but I did get a clear picture of what XML does to make web pages more widely usable.

1 comment:

April M, CCLS Children's Librarian said...

I like that you explained one of the benefits of XML in relation to webpages. I had not thought about how XML alleviated the problem of web pages appearing differently than intended on different platforms. Thanks for the example.